Thursday, March 01, 2007

The thing I love about freelance illustration: the freedom to work almost anywhere.

I'm finished my stop-motion contract. During my second week off I was given an illustration assignment by The National Post. I'm so happy I was able to take the work with me for a week on Georgian Bay. I've discovered there's nothing so nice as earning a pay cheque drawing in front of a fire, surrounded by stark and lovely scenery.






The 12 illustrations were published today on the front page of the Arts and Life section. Here're my favorites:














While up there I also did some more caterpillar drawings, and scribbled plenty in my sketchbook.







I'm starting in on a new animation project today. Once that's done I'd really like to take a month or two in Europe, and then I think I'm very seriously inclined to make an attempt at doing nothing but illustration. I'm hoping it all falls into place as easily as things have over the past few months.

15 Comments:

Blogger Bruno Fernández said...

Thanks to visit my Blog. ; -) If, it can be that we have similar tastes. As for me, I admire the personages who you create. I am going to you to add to my Links.
Sorry for my english. :-)
Greetings!!! ;-)

2:26 PM  
Blogger DaLe said...

first job with the globe?!?! screw you!! you can stay IN georgian bay, well you'll have to wait until the ice defreezes, but THEN you'll fall in & then i'll laugh!
oh & most of the pics arent working, are they cuz they're lies?

7:29 PM  
Blogger Mattias Adolfsson said...

Wonderful drawing love the dog, reminds me of our dog, she's always hunting things, dust mostly

2:32 AM  
Blogger Aldo said...

You do really great stuff mate!
Love it.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

WOW!! Wicked awesome characters!!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Tim Bye said...

Wow! I love your style! Great stuff here!

12:01 PM  
Blogger 1 said...

Unique style, very pleasant to look at. Keep it up, know that you are a good artist.

;) Heather

1:26 PM  
Blogger clifford urban said...

Very funny and cute drawings on your blog!

Best wishes from Brussels

3:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Like this set of artwork. Nice method...
very cool...

11:05 PM  
Blogger Marco Bucci said...

Great work! And what a cool feeling it must have been to work in such an inspiring location. Pure envy, over here!

6:39 PM  
Blogger Majeak Ann said...

Oh, yes, I totally agree with you, plus when you are outthere, your free your mind...I guess it happens to many of us.
Great, fabulous drawings (as always)
saludos!
-Marjorie

10:04 PM  
Blogger Michael Villegas said...

Your blog is a great find. Fantastic watercolor and concepts. Definitely bookmarking your page. Keep up the inspirational work!

9:16 PM  
Blogger madmounty said...

damn super nice rendering. lots of intricacy and bold design. very nice man.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Marcos Mateu said...

Very nice character work throughout this blog!

2:25 PM  
Blogger ***Jeannye Yahya *** said...

How cool! I get so excited when I get illustrators oa legal way! you should etr worked hard to get to work as a freelance illustrator is not it? Hope I can too!
Oh what a beautiful snow!

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home